Points, priority and Gold Crown status (are some points worth more than others?)

jeudi 24 décembre 2015

Sorry in advance as I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find a previous thread via searching.

I'm very new to timeshare ownership. I've been to a lot of sales presentations and gotten some decent free gifts with little commitment until this year. I bought HIVC in Williamsburg and got into the Interval International network with 80k points for $15k (annual fees about $500). Though I realize now that I should have bought resale, it sounds like I didn't get taken too badly (compared to some of the horror stories I hear). I also bought an audition package from Welk Escondido (300k points for $2600, just points, part of their newer Audition 2.0 package). I figure I can get about the $2600 value back from a couple weeks of vacation next year in Branson or Cabo at the other Welk resorts, so not too bad, but again probably better to rent from an owner, yeah? ... I'm still learning how all this stuff works.

I just bought my TUG year membership and I'm excited to learn a lot more about how to stretch my dollars and if/when/where to buy more units (resale this time). Very glad to find you guys and will be telling everyone I know about your site.

Okay, on to my real question: I have II points through my HIVC property and I just sat through the Welk sales presentation. They kept focusing on the Welk property being Gold Crown status and because it has that status, owners have a lot more "trading power." While that makes sense for a week-based trading program, I don't understand how anything can have more trading power if you're buying points. Points are discrete value and the whole purpose of the points program is that a point is a point is a point the world over, right? Is there any truth to the Welk claim that their points are special? They didn't say that their points were special, but that's the impression that I got. I think they're conflating this with an Elite or Platinum level program (inside of II?) that gives some special benefits (early access to trades, etc.).

Does anyone have a reference that has a good guide for considerations around Gold Crown status, if it matters at all when talking about points?

A big part of why I'm interested in this (apart from trying to understand the Welk marketing) is if I want to buy more units (resale), shouldn't I be looking at the best points per dollar and the lowest maintenance fees? Welk's maintenance fees are significantly higher than what I paid at Williamsburg (for the same sales price and points) so I'm trying to understand why I would ever want to buy a unit with higher maintenance fees.

Thanks in advance!


Points, priority and Gold Crown status (are some points worth more than others?)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Lorem

Ipsum

Dolor